When an individual is arrested for a crime they will be taken to the Plaquemines Parish Belle Chasse Lockup and booked prior to being incarcerated. Once arrested and booked, a defendant is entitled to have a bond set, except for capital cases. The basic release options available to a defendant as determined by the Judge are cash bail, surety bond, property bond and release on his own recognizance.
Cash for the total amount of bail in the form of cashier’s check or money order delivered to the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office [or Belle Chasse Lockup?]. If the defendant shows up for all his/her scheduled court appearances, the bail is returned at the conclusion of the case. If the defendant fails to appear, the bond is forfeited to the court.
This process involves the arrestee or a relative or friend of the arrestee contacting a bail bondsman to arrange for a bond to be posted in the amount of bail to guaranty the arrestee’s return to court.
This option involves placing actual property with the court as security for the defendant’s release from custody. If the defendant fails to appear for a court date, the court may take actions to foreclose on the property to obtain the forfeited bail amount. When a judge signs a property bond the judge certifies to the sheriff’s office accepting the bond that the property is of sufficient value to justify a bond in the amount stated.
The following documents are necessary to obtain a property bond:
1. Obtain a property assessment certificate from the Assessor’s office located at 106 Ave G, Belle Chasse, LA 70037.
* The property must be assessed in the parish the property is located.
2. Purchase a Mortgage Certificate from the Clerk of Court’s office also located in the Plaquemines Parish Courthouse Annex Building, 301 Main Street, Belle Chasse, LA 70037. There is a $20.00 fee plus $10.00 for each additional name (Cash or Money Order only – Payable to the CLERK OF COURT).
* The mortgage certificate must be from the Clerk of Court’s office in the parish the property is located.
3. Take the collected certificates to the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office – Belle Chasse Lockup located at 104 AVE G Belle Chasse, LA 70037 to get the bond prepared. There is a $30 fee for each bond. (Personal Checks will not be accepted).
* You must have the original certificates from the Assessor’s office and Clerk of Court.
* The individual(s) who own the property must be present and identified by a government issued photo identification card.
* The assessed value of the property is multiplied by 10.
* All encumbrances (mortgages, judgments, liens) are subtracted from the total assessed value.
* The final value must be at least the amount of the bond.
4. Obtain the signature of the incarcerated person on the prepared bond form.
5. Take the collected certificates, the prepared bond form and notice of property bond form to a 25TH Judicial District Court Judge to have them approve and sign it.
6. Take the signed prepared notice of property bond form back to the Clerk of Court’s office in the Plaquemines Parish Courthouse Annex Building, 301 Main Street, Belle Chasse, LA 70037 to be recorded.
There is a $30 fee per notice (Cash or Money Order only – payable to the Clerk of Court).
* The notice of property bond form must be recorded in the parish where the property is located.
7. After the notice of property bond form is recorded by the Clerk of Court, take the recorded copy of the notice of property bond form, the collected certificates and the prepared bond form back to the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office – Belle Chasse Lockup, 104 AVE G, Belle Chasse, LA 70037. The incarcerated person will be served a court date notice and released after processing.
* Once released make sure the incarcerated person appears before the court on the assigned date and any future dates.
This process is sometimes offered to defendants with no past criminal record of non-violent offenses. If a defendant fails to appear for a scheduled court date while out on this type of bond, usually the bond is forfeited and the defendant will be required to post one of the above listed bonds.